This is the first trip that I have taken outside of the country, so I was excited nervous all at the same time. I was really glad that I had David and Ken to travel with me. They have become old pros at this trip and kept me level headed. We also had Haeli along for the trip to keep us all from going crazy.
We were lucky enough to have Lionel and Etsuko to pick us up at the Brisbane airport. It was great not only to meet them, and little did I know, Lionel is one of the best secret tour guides of Australia. It was great. He took us straight from the airport out to see some sights. The picture below is us standing in front of the what used to be the Hauritz Soda Factory. (The business my Grandpa Allan owned).
Next we headed up and saw the house that my Mom and Lionel lived in when they were kids. We heard stories of crazy runaway bike rides down the hill and pet chickens, and Kens bare bum hanging out the window(ask him to explain it). The house was blue when they lived there.
Fresh Passion Fruit over nice vanilla ice cream. This was soooo good. I am killing myself for not getting a photo of the fresh mango. It is my favorite fruit and I think Etsuko found out and had it for me almost everyday. She needs points in heaven for that.
This is the house where it all happened. This is the house that my dad (while serving a mission) met my mom. I have heard mixed stories... I know Lionel experienced the same thing I did when I came home to find Ryan and Leanne becoming friends.
This is the closest I have ever gotten to my Grandpa Allan. It was a really cool experience to visit his grave site. I am glad that Grandma was able to join him. 
It was so cool to finally meet Ken and Lisa. I have always heard about my cousins from the land down under. They were everything that my Grandma had told me. She always said that we would get along great. We had a great time hanging out with Ken talking about music, sports, hobbies. It was like we had know each other for a while. It was really cool. Lisa was a blast to hang out with. She was able to come to the South Bank with us and hang out a little bit longer. I did everything I could to try and lobby them to come over to the states.
It was great to see my aunt Carol and Wally again. I saw them along time ago in the states. It was crazy, I would look over and see little pieces of my grandma in Carol. All of the good things. She was so kind and it was great to spend the day with them. I had a burger with the works and some fresh gelato.
Lisa, Haeli and I at night waiting to ride the big ferris wheel in downtown Brisbane. The town was awesome.
This is the Story Bridge. I heard stories from my Mom and Lionel about my grandpa Allen driving over this bridge and taking out his smokes and saying, " well, this is the last time I will smoke." He never smoked again. It was great walking with my bro David across this bridge.
This was at one of the points that my grandpa would take the kids fishing when they were little. It is really close to Lionel's house. He is so lucky to live so close to this awesome place.
I have tried to explain to Kliss just how awesome Etsuko is. She is probably one of the nicest people I have ever met. She was such a good host and took care of us like we were her kids. I am so grateful to have her and Lionel as an aunt and uncle.
What is a trip to Australia with out seeing a kangaroo? We also got to pet a Koala.
The trip was a whirlwind and one of the best things I have done to date. We now have a jar in our house and we are saving up everyday so I can take my family to the land down under. I want them to feel and connect to the Hauritz side like I did.
Control freak time: I am adding a few pictures that Matt didn't include because he didn't want to make this post too long.
![]() |
| Mango tree |
| Cricket game. No idea how this game works, but Matt said it was fun to watch. |
![]() |
| This is the beach behind Lionel's house. AMAZING!! |
![]() |
| Matt said that the locals rarely wear shoes or shirts- even to the store. He said that Lionel was barefoot while they were hiking along this rocky trail. |
![]() |
| Surfer's paradise. |
![]() |
| Christmas is during the summer in Australia. Dianne spent her childhood Christmases on the beach, basking in the sun. |
![]() |
| How cute is this? Matt brought Zack a stuffed Koala (Wally the Koally). You can see him in some of the Christmas pictures. |













