Saturday, December 31, 2011

Etc.

For Christmas (2010) our family got a popcorn popper. The kids had never experienced popcorn cooking in any way other than a microwave. The first time was magical. They loved it! We still mostly use the microwave kind, but when we are feeling fancy we bust this baby out. 
We love it when Chad & Angie and the kids come to visit. Even though our boys are older than their cousins they still have so much fun together. 
Kate especially likes Ben. I think it's sweet that my boys can be so good around little kids. 
This picture is to remind me of two things: 1) never let Ben's hair get this long again and 2) begin work on the pinewood derby car sooner than the night before. 
Matt loves his job at the David Francis Law Firm. He works with some really great people. They have some interesting ways to entertain themselves. For example, the 50 Wing Challenge. Each participant had to eat 50 wings. Matt started out strong until about #35. 
By the time he finished, and he did finish, he was grossed out. This did not, however, ruin hot wings for him. It took him about a week, but he will still eat them, just not from this place.
This could go down as Matt's proudest moment of 2011. 
I gave Zack his own pack of bubble gum and later found this threatening note on the table. I haven't given him his own pack of gum since. 
It says: "Zack's Don't touch. Or I'll beat you down! Just don't! Mom gave it to mmmee. It's all mine!" The toy is identified as the garder buddy.


More fun from the DFLF--a century charity bike ride. Most of the employees (and some wives and some kids- not my slacker family) rode at least 17 miles. It began early so that they could ride their bikes down the strip. That was the coolest part. Matt finished 60 miles. Good for him. I think we may  even join him next year. 
For reasons that boys (men?!?) understand, most of the bike riders also grew mustaches. Matt's was disturbingly awesome. 
This photo marks the beginning of the unfortunate trend of Zack getting sick on every trip/holiday for the rest of the year. This is at Ruby's in Carlsbad the morning after Legoland.  We ate outside so he wouldn't have to smell the food. 
Noah's winter guitar concert. He's getting pretty good on the guitar. He is hoping to get to play one of the solos next year in advanced guitar. He's also banking on a theory that guys who play guitar get the ladies. 
We stopped to eat at McDonald's in Barstow on the way to SLO. It was our first experience with the new Happy Meal sized french fries. Isn't it cute. It makes the other size look like it was supersized, but it's just the medium. 
To make a tree just like Zack's all you need is 4 wire hangers, 1 string of lights, tinsel & lots of tape.  It is pretty cool. I just wonder who looks at a hanger and thinks of making a tree. 
This is what 4th grade looks like. I helped with Ben's Christmas party. I don't go into his class often and I think he likes it that way. If he sees me in the hall at school I get a quick look and maybe half of a wave. 
Ok, that's it for 2011.