Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Funkins

We carve pumpkins every year and it goes like this:
Matt or Kliss cuts a hole out in the top.
Matt or Kliss remove the insides (Ben gags & leaves the room).
The kids carve for a few minutes then complain because it's too hard.
Matt or Kliss  finishes the pumpkins.
Kliss cleans up.

I was tempted to avoid it all together this year. But Zack really wanted to. He's only 6, I don't want to ruin his childhood.  So I found a better solution: Funkins. Fun to say, more fun to carve. Bet you can't tell the difference.
We had a family home evening with the cousins, ate chili and then got creative. Talk about instant gratification: No waiting for the clean out, no vomiting noises, no complaining. For the most part, the kids did all the carving themselves. Funkins are a little saw dusty, but I will take that over nasty pumpkin guts any day. Any day. Plus, they are all packed away for next year. You can't do that with a real pumpkin. Well, you could but I wouldn't recommend it.
Funkins are, in fact, fun. And, no, this is not a paid advertisement for Funkins.