Noah asked me to come listen to him play a new song Matt taught him. He calls it "The Evil Egyptian."
The song is familiar to me, although I might instead refer to it as the "Dancing French Women" song. ("There's a place in France where the naked women dance. There's a hole in the wall where the men can see it all.") Which made me think about how nice it is that Noah is still young and innocent. I wondered how long it would be before some neighbor kid would introduce him to the not so innocent lyrics.
Later that day I was asking Matt if he knew about the origin of that song. He thought it was just some riff. I mentioned something about Noah not knowing the words and, come to find out, Matt had never heard them either. How can that be? I have known that song for as long as I can remember; at least as long as I've known the alternate words for Jingle Bells and Deck the Halls. I thought this was another one of those songs that every kid learns. Did Matt somehow miss that lesson? Am I the only one who knows those words?? There are a lot of words that describe me, but pervert is not generally one of them. And I am pretty sure I didn't make it up.
The next day, my previously innocent Ben came in my room singing the "Dancing French Women" song. And so, in a round about way, I am now responsible for corrupting my kids (and possibly all the neighborhood kids). Thank you Matt.
5 comments:
Noah is awesome - you are going straight down. Just kidding, but I have to admit I have never heard the "Dancing French Women." Maybe it's a Burton thing.
Kliss, I hope it's okay that I cyberstalk your blog... I'm Lynne's mom, Merry, soon to be your neighbor. I think you have a great blog, btw, but I wanted to respond about your song. I googled it, and found a number of references to it, but thought you might like to see the one from Dave Barry.
http://blogs.herald.com/dave_barrys_blog/2005/05/a_readers_plea.html
I had to laugh about worrying about corrupting your kids. Riley and her cousing Taylor like to do the handclap rhyme "Miss Susie had a steamboat." And sooner or later, Lance and Zackie will probably pick that up!
I know that song too! Chad and I can't wait to hear your family band play it when perfected.
I have never heard that song but am wondering if G-ma and G-pa need to move next door to uncorrupt your children. Nice going on the geetar, Noah.
I have never heard that song but am wondering if G-ma and G-pa need to move next door to uncorrupt your children. Nice going on the geetar, Noah.
Post a Comment