Friday, March 28, 2014

Top Chef Celebrity Stalking

Emily and I went to Tivoli to eat at a restaurant only to discover it was out of business. We are both Top Chef viewers so we decided to try the Poppy Den owned by one of the past finalists. Remember Angelo? We do! We walked in, looked to the right and saw him standing there. What!?! We had the best service we will probably ever have at any restaurant. They were wiping our table down mid meal, keeping our glasses full and smiling like crazy. I spent most of the meal trying to take a picture of him without him noticing. I am really bad at that. I thought we might catch him when we were leaving but he was gone. Missed opportunity! Then we saw him browsing in a clothing store across the street. Of course we went in and browsed too. We realized it would be too weird to approach him in the store so we waiting outside for him to leave. And when he did, I froze. But Emily jumped into action and called his name. The friend he was with was happy to take a picture for us. Angelo was very gracious and nice. He is also tall so I don't know why Emily and I are both hunching down. 
I should also note that the food was good. It was all the types of things you expect from a Top Chef chef like pork belly, watermelon salad, oyster, something in some type of reduction, truffles, etc. I felt like Padma although I am probably more like Gail.