A while back I watched part of an interview with the lead singer of Cake. Man was he pretentious! For a guy who writes songs about stickshifts and bucket seats, he seemed to take himself pretty seriously. But I do like the music and I really really wanted to see a concert at the Brooklyn Bowl at the LINQ so we went.
Thanks to Matt's need to get there early (too early if you ask me) we had the best spot we have ever had for a concert. We were right in front of the stage, like put your hand on the stage, in front of the stage. Often there is a walkway type space between the crowd and the stage, but not at the Brooklyn Bowl. It was pretty exciting. And I was genuinely excited to see them this close.Then they announced there would be no photography or videoing allowed. What is this 1999? For some reason that announcement combined with the previous interview and them coming out almost an hour late totally bugged me and put me out of the mood to hear Cake.
The sounded good and played most of my favorite songs, no Stickshifts and Safteybelts though it was requested, chanted even. The lead singer reminds me of Mr. Keaton from Family Ties. I had a fun time with my Matt but I will probably skip the next Cake show. I just don't think they are as amazing as the lead singer thinks they are.