Friday, December 14, 2012

School Projects

What is it about third grade book reports? Why do they have to be so complex? Noah's projects nearly killed me-puppets, dioramas, posters. The kids are only 8 or 9--spare the poor Mom! Ben's were better because he is pretty easy to work with. I'll let you decide what that says about Noah. And now, Zack is in third grade.... so far so good. He loves this stuff and I barely need to help him. He had his mystery book movie poster finished 3 weeks in advance. 

December's project was the dreaded puppet. Zack had to read a book about animals and make a puppet of the main character then re-tell a scene from the story to his class. He read The Miraculous Life of Edward Tulane, about a stuffed bunny. We put together this puppet fairly quickly, he had the ideas for how to make it, I did the sewing. 
But, because it is Zack, a puppet wasn't going to be enough. He decided to make a background for the re-telling. I gave him poster board and he created this scene from the conclusion of the book when Edward found himself on the empty shelves of a toy shop. Give the kid some packing tape, scissors, cardboard and markers and watch him go.