Saturday, October 16, 2010

School

 
It was definitely a different start to school this year.  The kids get to ride buses. I thought it would be fantasic, but it turns out that figuring out how to ride a school bus in Las Vegas is almost rocket science.
Noah refused my offer to wait with him at the bus stop. I am guessing that waiting with your Mom who is wearing no make up and sweaty tennis clothes isn't considered cool in middle school. We compromised on me watching from a distance. Which was a good thing because the bus never came. In fact, Noah's bus didn't come for pick up for the first two days.  So he didn't know which bus to take home or where even to go to get on the bus. There are lots of buses going to the middle school and instead of using the actual bus numbers for identification, the buses have a seven digit number taped to the window.  Seven numbers on a window? Thanks for making things easy Clark County School District.

Zack and Ben caught it fine going to school but missed the bus going home. There is only one bus that goes to their school, so I'm not sure how that happened.  The best part was that while I was playing the role of the responsible mom who was waiting for her children at the bus stop, the boys were waiting for me at the school office. That's why I didn't answer the phone when the secretary called the house to inform me of the whereabouts of my kids. I also don't play the role of responsible mom very well because I didn't take my cell phone. So I missed the call to that number too. By the time the bus came (way later than expected) and I discovered that my boys weren't on it, the secretary had already spoken to Matt who was VERY UNHAPPILY on his way to pick them up. I am a slow learner because so far this year it's happened two more times. And for various reasons-all of them lame-I have missed the call from the office. I think I'm getting a reputation.  Brother. It was much nicer when they walked!
But otherwise, the boys are doing fine at school. Zacky has a pretty teacher with long, blond, curly hair. His eyes nearly popped out of his head when he first met her. He'll be just fine this year. We are getting used to all the boys having lots of homework, but overall it's good. Especially now that we may have finally figured out the buses.