Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Spanish singing should be fun, right?



Each year I can look forward to a Spanish Immersion Christmas program. The first two were at the school gym. It's a good venue because it's close to home, there is a stage & chairs, I can hear the songs and it's warm. Why mess with a good thing? Really, why mess? Because someone is messing and I am not happy about it. Last year we risked our lives on snow covered roads to get Noah down to the University Mall so that he could sing for...us. I am pretty sure he could have done that at the school. Instead, we waited 30 minutes past the time our group of over 100 kids was scheduled to sing, for some dancers who refused to leave the stage until they finished their performance. That wouldn't have happened at our gym. It was crowded & I couldn't hear anything. Hopefully that will be the end of mall singing.

This year they were invited to sing for the 1st annual Saratoga Springs Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony. It's outside, a little fact I neglected to inform Zack of. I also should have prepped him that the Christmas tree wouldn't be very grand and that Santa would be there. The kid needs prior knowledge of what to expect or he'll cry, complain and whine like crazy and refuse to have any fun or allow anyone else to have any fun.


But even if he was happy I probably wouldn't have had a lot of fun. I couldn't hear hardly any of the songs, which may have had something to do with the fact that Noah has taken up lip sync caroling. The song Feliz Navidad is ridiculously long and repetitive and I missed the burrito song, which is my favorite. (On the plus side, it hasn't been stuck in my head.) We didn't even stick around for the high school choir, mayor's comments or the actual tree lighting. It was the frozen toes that finally did me in. I am finished with malls & civic events. If they want the Francis boys' singing (or fake singing) next year they better have it in the gym.