Friday, June 13, 2008

Girl's Camp

I was doing some math and I have made a startling discovery: I am getting old. I've had my driver's license for 20 years. It's been 16 years since I was in Young Women's and 17 years since I went to girls camp (as a camper, not a leader). It doesn't seem possible but it's true. The numbers don't lie.

I spent yesterday afternoon and evening with our young women at the church's Heber Valley Girls Camp. It was so much fun and it brought back all kinds of memories. We have the most amazing girls in our ward. They are kind, loving, enthusiastic, helpful, beautiful, creative, I could go on and on. It was a privilege to be with them.
I didn't do a very good job of taking pictures of the camp. It is a really neat place. The camping is relatively luxurious as the girls have cabins and showers. But there isn't a pool like we had a Rock Creek. We were early in the year so it was cold. They actually had snow on one day, the same day as the 4th year overnight when the girls did have to sleep in tents. When I went to camp we had to prepare our food over a fire or some other outdoor method. This camp has a nice industrial kitchen with a walk in fridge, big ovens, warming drawers, etc. All the wards eat dinner together & luckily it was our ward's night to help with the dinner. The girls were hard workers and it was fun to prepare a meal using all the fancy equipment.

I didn't have time to arrange to go stay the whole week. But I am planning on going up next year. I can't wait.

4 comments:

lrix said...

If it makes your feel anybetter, you don't seem old. You still have a lot of spunk. I loved girls camp too and really do remember the great leaders. I am sure all the girls look up to you too.

Emily said...

I feel old too. Wait, we're the same age. That camp sounds deluxe, that's fun that you got to go. I'll bet you are one of the "fun" leaders and your YW love you.

Liz said...

Fun!!! There were always a few fiascos when our ladies headed out to camp in our last ward. It sounds like you have a great group of girls though.

The Truth said...

A girls camping trip is awesome! When you do get a chance to go for a week make sure you make a list of the Camping Equipment that you'll need. Trust me you do not want to be out there for that long and forget a necessity. Fun times!