Thursday, March 20, 2008

Zack's Big Day

Back in his Little Einstein's days, Zack's favorite episode was one involving a birthday party. He has become an expert in all the things required to make a great birthday like cake, balloons, streamers and goody bags. All his knowledge made me a little nervous about his birthday expectations, especially his cake. He wanted a cake with dots, sprinkles, flowers, lines that go like this (he would draw it in the air with his finger) and a cherry on top to make it fancy. We looked online at different cakes and he didn't find anything that he really liked until we came across the wedding cakes. He was serious about the fancy part.

Zack's birthday was on Tuesday. We were in Idaho for a funeral which left Matt in charge of decorating and cake making. That took the pressure off me and Matt did a great job. We didn't get home until 8:00 and we were travel weary (at least I was) so the party was a little subdued but Zack still had a "really good" birthday. I even managed to figure out gifts for him. He wouldn't tell me what he wanted because he wanted it to be a surprise. I even took him to the store to try to figure him out and he was really vague and actually got bored looking at the toys.

This is Matt's masterpiece. His cake impressed Ben so much that he requested the same one for his birthday. Zack liked it but said it needed more decorations.
Here is the cake with Zack's finishing touches. He also had it in his head that he wouldn't officially be four until he blew the candles out on his cake. He is a funny little kid.

4 comments:

McGarryMom said...

Matt did a great job on the cake and interpreting a 4 year-old's mind. I'm glad he's officially 4!

Emily said...

You two really do know how to do a kids birthday right! I don't know what to say about Matt's cake - I am beyond impressed. I'm glad Zack had a really good birthday!

lrix said...

Will Matt make cakes upon request because I am sure he could have beat the lame one I bought because I am a lazy mom. I can see why Zack was so happy. I am glad he still had a great birthday.

The Francis Family said...

I can't believe your youngest is 4! Matt's cake is great but I must say that Zack really did make some artistic improvements. Very cute.