![]() |
| I am seriously reconsidering those sunglasses. |
It was a little sad to bid farewell to Paris, but we had a pretty spectacular destination. My first impression of the city of Versailles when we arrived earlier in the week was that it was a little dumpy. But when we walked by this flower clock on our way to the Palace of Versailles my opinion improved. You just don't see this very often. I better be careful, or Zack will get some lofty landscaping ideas.
This is Versailles and it is huge. King Louis the XIV (aka the Sun King) moved the court from Paris to Versailles in 1682. It was the center of government until the French Revolution. Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI were the last royal residents.
Shadowy picture of us, but see how big and gold trimmed it is.
This is a little better picture of the gold detailing.
Inside you will find a whole lot of fanciness. Let's begin with a few ceilings:
Here are some ceiling and hallway photos.
The chapel:
The King's bedroom chamber:
The Queen's bedchamber:
A staircase
The Queen's staircase
The famous Hall of Mirrors- or hall of a million people getting in my way.
This is a statue of Turenne. Our apartment in Paris was on Rue Turenne. It never once occurred to me that it as named for a person.
Most of what we saw was just what I expected to see. Here are a few surprises:
| Stilletos made from pots. |
![]() |
| Ugly yarn and felt chandelier trashing up the place. |
In hindsight, I probably should have also taken a picture of the random helicopter that was inside the palace. I don't recall what it was decorated with (maybe feathers, maybe even peacock feathers) but it was weird and like the other things, out of place. I just don't always understand art.
There are plenty of fountains.
Some statues
and lots of pretty plants and trees.
This final Versailles garden picture also documents the time I became a giant.
Versailles was a great ending to our trip in France. And so it was back to England with one last trip under water.
This is how you get into the train. We were behind a Ferrari this time. Cool! When we were planning this trip I thought 12 days might be a little too long to be away. Even though we saw a lot, there was plenty more we could have seen. But all good things come to an end and really, I can hardly believe we pulled this off. Now that we know we can do it, we're in talks for the next trip--my vote is for Italy.









