Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Six Year Old

Kids grow up. Zack had the nerve to do that today. Another year! How rude. I would be fine if he stayed 5 for a little longer. It's a fun age. He's a fun kid. I think that won't change even if he gets older. It's just kind of a bummer to see him get taller and smarter and sassier. I love him so much I could just eat him up. He has to remind me that he would taste gross, but I can't get enough kisses and hugs from him. Poor kid. At least he's still willing to cuddle me and watch Phineas and Ferb. Although sometimes I prefer to watch it alone. He laughs at the jokes and after about every other sentence he has to see if I "get it."  Then he'll explain why it was funny just to make sure I got it. 

This birthday was pretty low key. Matt & I had big plans to have the house all decorated. All we managed was this fun hallway. 
We have to get up extra early to open presents before Matt leaves for work. Zack is my best sleeper and was not ready for the morning. He is wearing a custom birthday hat he made about two weeks ago.

Zack wanted to make his own birthday sign. I should have had him start it when he made his hat. He got side tracked with other projects and didn't do it on time. Five year-olds are so unreliable.   They do however, tend to destroy things. As fate would have it, he pulled down our curtains yesterday which gave me this opportunity. I did the name & balloons. He added the rest using the window markers he got for his birthday.
Drawing is Zack's favorite thing to do. His proudest moment in kindergarten was winning a coloring contest in September. His teacher tells me that he still reminds her about it. This is the art wall in his room. He and Ben are supposed share it, but all except for two of the drawings are Zack's.  He is getting more diverse in the things he draws and he's starting to add little details. On his dresser is the hat he decorated for Dr. Seuss' birthday. I love the flames & skulls.
He's been into fancy cakes for the last two years. I wanted to do something different and surprise him. He did not take the news well. He really wanted to decorate his cake and told me so about a million times. I didn't give in and in the end he loved the cake.
It's a good thing because that could have been a birthday ruin-er. He did say that  I should have made it a box of markers not crayons. Picky picky. He will be doing his own cake next year.